- Organization Name:A Hand Up
- Address:1207 Pine St.
Michigan City, IN 46360
A Hand Up transforms lives by empowering individuals be become self-sufficient to the extent of their ability. We will provide encouragement, motivation, and accountability. They will provide the desire to become self-sufficient and the willingness to do whatever that takes.
A Hand Up, Inc. of Michigan City, Indiana has been diligently working on addressing homelessness in Northwest Indiana. A Hand Up works to better the lives of the people in La Porte, Porter, and Lake counties by offering three programs. The first being, a Supportive Services program, the second being Transitional Housing for women and their children, and the third program is the Changing Room.
1. A Hand Up offers the Supportive Services program to veterans who are in need of services to prevent them from becoming homeless. A Hand Up is now working with two other established agencies (Housing Opportunities/ the local Continuum of Care) to become more effective in combating homelessness. It will mean breaking down barriers that keep people from getting the services they need, focusing our approach on people relying on the homeless service system and working to help support them to move forward with self-directed goals.
2. The transitional housing program was evolved as an effort to offer "A Hand Up, not a hand out" to homeless female veterans and their children. The program will provide up to an 18 month stay in the home. There will be case management offered as well as classes that they can take, all with the hope that they will start to develop the skills necessary to get back into the working world and be self-sustaining and successful individuals.
3. The Changing Room is a clothing closet that is available to low-income and homeless men and women who are in need of clothing for a job interview. We have had several successes in recent weeks after A Hand Up has provided them with the proper clothing for their interviews.
A Hand Up is a non-profit organization that was founded by Claudette Harrison in November of 2012. The organization was formed in response to the information that there was a higher percentage of homeless women veterans than homeless veteran men. A Hand Up wants to give back to those who unselfishly left their families so we can remain the Land of the Free. No veteran should be homeless, but it is unconscionable that our female veterans are homeless, often with their children. The founder and her husband Troy, purchased a home in Michigan City, IN. The purpose of the purchase was to renovate the home to provide a safe place for the veteran women and their children to live while they work to get their lives back on track. The home is awaiting funding to begin on the renovations. Since purchasing the home, the founder has started two other programs under A Hand Up, Inc. Those programs are the Supportive Services program and the Changing Room. The Supportive Services program is awaiting funding.
- Year established:2012
- Organization type:Grantseeker
- Country of registration:United States
- Tax Determination Letter:Received Determination Letter
- IRS Section:501(c)(3)
- IRS Subsection:509(a)(1)
Other Website Listings
Types of funding being sought (i.e. funding type)
- None specified
Program areas of focus and activity (i.e. funding cause)
- None specified
Geographic areas of focus and activity (i.e. geographic area)
- None specified
IRS Business Master File Information
- Organization Name:A HAND UP INC
- Sort (Secondary) Name:
- Care Of Name:% CLAUDETTE HARRISON
- Organization Address:1207 PINE ST
- Organization City:MICHIGAN CITY
- Organization State:IN
- Organization Zip:46360-3731
- Group Exemption Number:0000
- Subsection Code:03
- Classification Code(s):1
- Subsection/Classification Desc.:Charitable Organization
- Affiliation Code:3
- Ruling Date:March, 2013
- Deductibility Code:1
- Foundation Code:15
- Foundation Code Desc.:Organization which receives a substantial part of its support from a governmental unit or the general public 170(b)(1)(A)(vi)
- Activity Code(s):
- Activity Code Desc.(s):
- Organization Code:1 (Corporation)
- Exempt Org. Status Code:01 (Unconditional Exemption)
- Tax Period:December, 2016
- Filing Requirement Category:02 (990 - Required to file Form 990-N - Income less than $25,000 per year)
- Accounting Period:December
- NTEE Code:P80
- Asset Amount:$0
- Asset Code:
- Income Amount:$0
- Income Code:
- 990 Revenue Amount:$0
- Last Updated:4/25/2017 3:21:20 pm
This information is directly from the IRS Exempt Organization Business Master File at Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract. This information is not under the control of the Common Grant Application and is collected and compiled and can only be changed by the IRS.