- Organization Name:826michigan
- Address:115 East Liberty Street
Ann Arbor, MI 48104
826michigan supports students ages 6 to 18 with their creative and expository writing skills, and helps teachers inspire their students to write. Our services are structured around our belief that great leaps in learning can happen with one-on-one attention, and that strong writing skills are fundamental to future success. Programs are designed to reach students at every possible opportunity—in school, after school, in the evenings, and on the weekends. 826michigan’s tremendous volunteer base of 300+ trained tutors makes it possible for every young person to participate at no charge whatsoever.
826michigan’s programs and people inspire students to write and appreciate the written word, forge relationships with teachers to create innovative workshops and lesson plans, produce professional-quality publications written entirely by young people, and rally more than 300 enthusiastic volunteers to make it all happen.
We offer the following services:
• After-School Tutoring: Each weekday afternoon, adult volunteer tutors and children of all ages converge to work together on homework. Young people are proven to benefit from individual attention and a quiet, organized place to complete assignments successfully.
• Field trips: 826michigan regularly welcomes an entire public school class to our center to experience a high-energy field trip during which they write and bind their own books.
• In-School Literacy Program: Volunteers are organized on a continual basis to go into classrooms and assist teachers with writing curriculum. 826michigan encourages teachers to lead the way and to allow volunteers to help them when, where and how they need it most.
• Creative Writing Workshops: 826michigan offers free workshops that provide in-depth instruction in a variety of areas that schools do not often include in curriculum.
• Publishing: By publishing student writing, 826michigan ensures that students build confidence in their skills and have a unique outlet for expression.
826michigan opened in 2005, based on the highly successful model of San Francisco’s 826 Valencia, which opened in 2002. Like 826 Valencia, our center consists of a colorful, comfortable tutoring center and a retail storefront that partially funds our programs. Using the methods 826 Valencia’s had already developed, 826michigan was able to begin offering high-quality programming to students immediately.
- Year established:2005
- Organization type:Grantseeker
- Country of registration:United States
- Tax Determination Letter:Received Determination Letter
- IRS Section:501(c)(3)
- IRS Subsection:None
Other Website Listings
- Guidestar listed:Yes
Types of funding being sought (i.e. funding type)
Program areas of focus and activity (i.e. funding cause)
- Arts, Culture, Humanities:High
Geographic areas of focus and activity (i.e. geographic area)
Organization tax information is not viewable for this organization.