Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands (Redlands, CA)

Name

  • Name:Ms. Pam Grogan
  • Title:Development Director

Organization Address

  • Organization Name:Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands
  • Address:1251 Clay Street
    Redlands, CA 92374
    United States

Organization Phone

  • Main phone:909-798-4599
  • Main fax:909-798-1684

Organization Web

User Email

Location

Click map for a full size active view.

General

  • Mission:
  • The Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands (BGCR) is dedicated to enhancing the quality of life for youth to enable them to become productive members of society. Our mission is to inspire, and enable all young people, especially those who need us most to realize their full potential as productive, responsible and caring citizens. Since 1967, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands has provided a Positive Place for youth living in Redlands, Mentone, Loma Linda, San Bernardino and parts of Highland.

    We actively seek to enrich the lives of girls and boys whom other youth agencies have had difficulty in reaching. With special concern for the “at-risk” youth, the Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands (BGCR) helps our youth to help themselves realize their potential for growth and development. Basing our program on member and community involvement and on a recognized role as spokesmen for youth, the Club is aware of the influences of the total environment and provides youth with relevant, everyday, varied and diversified individual and group services. These demonstrate that adults care for young people and truly desire to help them grow into contributing human beings with the necessary skills for living.

  • History:
  • With caring staff and dedicated leaders, the Boys and Girls Clubs of Redlands serves as a visible community beacon, creating a legacy of hope and opportunity through social (cultural), academic and emotional wellness programs that enhance the quality of life for our members and their families.

    The Boys Clubs of Redlands was re-founded in August of 1967. We use the term “re-founded” due to documents from our National Office that date back to the mid-forties and early fifties. Because of these documents, we believe that the Redlands Club was established for a period of time, and for some unknown reason folded, only to rise again on the 30th day of August 1967.

    The re-founding Board was comprised of a group of businessmen concerned with the less advantaged youth – primarily Hispanic boys from the northside. The Board of Directors were of Walker Smith, Jr., Lee Guggisberg, Robert H. Mitchell, Victor E. Miller, Dean O. Garvey, Edward F. Taylor, Norman Martinez, and James Sloan. Mr. Sloan became the first president of the Board and Gerry Smith was hired as the first Executive Director.

    An old packing house located 1125 North Sixth Street was renovated and the doors were opened for youth programs on December 14, 1967. The Club served an average of 300 members yearly, with peak years reaching nearly 500. By early 1978, the Club was outgrowing the Sixth Street Clubhouse. Working with United Way and the then House of Neighborly Service Board, the Club was able to move to the empty facility located at 612 Lawton Street. The re-opening was made in the spring of 1979, with a ribbon cutting ceremony by Redlands Councilwoman Barbara Riordan.

    In January 1987, the Presbytery of Riverside, owners of the land at 612 Lawton, expresses their intentions to sell the land. With immanent loss of the Lawton Clubhouse, the Club looked to establish an outreach site to conduct programs. After talking to the Redlands Unified School District, it was agreed that putting programs at Franklin and Mentone Elementary Schools would benefit the Club and the School District. The Club would have sites to hold programs if their Clubhouse was sold and still serve the needy northside youth. The outreach program won an award from Boys & Girls Clubs of America.

    In August of 1998, the Board of Directors approved the change in the name of Club to reflect its expanded service to girl members. The Club filed its amendment to our Articles of Incorporation with the State Secretary, to become the Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands.

    The City of Redlands sought to preserve the history of the House of Neighborly Services and an appeal was put to the Presbytery of Riverside to convert the use of the House into a center for homeless, which was within the mission of the Presbytery. The plan was accepted and the property was saved. However, the re-use plan necessitated the use of the entire facility and when renovation was started in 1990; the Boys & Girls Clubs of Redlands was asked to leave.

    The Club's Board of Directors decided to continue their outreach programs at Franklin and Mentone Schools. They also expanded and opened a site at the Housing Authority of the County of San Bernardino's community center located on Lugonia Avenue. The School District, under pressure to provide licensed extended day care at their schools, rescinded the Club's permission to hold programs at Franklin and Mentone Schools. By early 1991, the outreach programs at the schools ended, leaving only the Lugonia Site for Club programming.

    In September of 1991, the Club expanded to the second Public Housing site in Redlands when they opened a location at the corner of Brockton and Texas. In May of 1992, the Club celebrated 25 years of Hope & Opportunity and rehabilitated a small three room building at 1235 Clay Street – providing an additional location to run programs.

    During the last 12 months, our organization has gone through a shift change of bringing a seasoned grantwriter on board to help support our fund development efforts.

  • Year established:1967
  • Endowment:Unknown

Staff

  • Executive / Trustee board size:6
  • Advisory board size:0
  • Staff size:30

Board and Executive Names

  • Board Members / Trustees:
  • 16

  • Executive Director / President:
  • P.T. McEwen, Chief Professional Office

Registration

  • Organization type:Grantseeker
  • Country of registration:United States
  • Tax Determination Letter:Received Determination Letter
  • IRS Section:501(c)(3)
  • IRS Subsection:509(a)(1)
  • Tax ID:95-6187083

Other Organization Web

IRS Business Master File Information

  • EIN:956187083
  • Organization Name:BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS OF GREATER REDLANDS-RIVERSIDE
  • Sort (Secondary) Name:RIVERSIDE
  • Care Of Name:
  • Organization Address:1251 CLAY ST
  • Organization City:REDLANDS
  • Organization State:CA
  • Organization Zip:92374-3257
  • Group Exemption Number:0000
  • Subsection Code:03
  • Classification Code(s):1
  • Subsection/Classification Desc.:Charitable Organization
  • Affiliation Code:3
  • Ruling Date:July, 1968
  • Deductibility Code:1
  • Foundation Code:15
  • Foundation Code Desc.:Organization which receives a substantial part of its support from a governmental unit or the general public 170(b)(1)(A)(vi)
  • Activity Code(s):349, 059
  • Activity Code Desc.(s):Other youth organization or activities, Other school related activities
  • Organization Code:1 (Corporation)
  • Exempt Org. Status Code:01 (Unconditional Exemption)
  • Tax Period:June, 2017
  • Filing Requirement Category:01 (990 (all other) or 990EZ return)
  • Accounting Period:June
  • NTEE Code:
  • Asset Amount:$4,994,625
  • Asset Code:6 ($1,000,000 - $4,999,999)
  • Income Amount:$3,993,659
  • Income Code:6 ($1,000,000 - $4,999,999)
  • 990 Revenue Amount:$3,508,473
  • Last Updated:2/19/2018 7:53:36 pm

This information is directly from the IRS Exempt Organization Business Master File at Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract. This information is not under the control of the Common Grant Application and is collected and compiled and can only be changed by the IRS.