Capitol College (Laurel, MD)


  • Name:Adam Trice
  • Title:Director of Foundation Relations

Organization Address

  • Organization Name:Capitol College
  • Address:11301 Springfield Road
    Laurel, MD 21227
    United States

Organization Phone

  • Main phone:301-369-2800

User Email


Click map for a full size active view.


  • Mission:
  • The mission of Capitol College is to provide practical education in engineering, computer science, information technology and business that prepares individuals for professional careers and affords them the opportunity to thrive in a changing world.

  • History:

  • Since its start more than 80 years ago, Capitol College has remained true to its mission – preparing students for careers in a quickly changing world. With a tradition of academic excellence and practical learning, Capitol College has equipped its alumni with the knowledge and skills to evolve with the advanced sophistication of technology.

    Capitol College was founded in Washington, DC, as the Capitol Radio Engineering Institute in 1927 by Eugene H. Rietzke. A Navy veteran and radio operator, Rietzke foresaw the need for an advanced school that could produce talented radio and electronics technicians. CREI began as a correspondence school, but its popularity led to the 1932 opening of a residence division allowing students to work hands on in laboratories. As radio technology improved, new training programs and courses were quickly added. Following World War II, CREI became one of the first three technical institutes accredited by the Engineers’ Council for Professional Development.

    The institute entered a new era in the mid-1950s when it began awarding threeyear AAS degrees. The school expanded its reach to new programs in applied engineering and electronics. To reflect this evolution, the institute changed its name to Capitol Institute of Technology in 1964. It awarded its first bachelor of science degrees in 1966 to four graduates of its electronics engineering technology program. Anticipating the need for more room, Capitol relocated in 1969 to a leased space in Kensington, Maryland.

    During the following decade, enrollment increased and so did the program offerings. In 1976 the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools granted accreditation to Capitol, and the National Science Foundation provided funding for new instructional scientific equipment. Quickly outgrowing its space, Capitol’s leaders recognized a need for a permanent home and began searching for a new campus.

    In 1980 the college found its home in Laurel, Maryland. Within three years, Capitol purchased the 52-acre former site of the Beltsville Speedway, built new academic facilities and opened its doors. Enrollment swelled and the college added two more engineering technology degrees. Within the next decade a capital campaign and funding from the state of Maryland raised millions for buildings, equipment and a scholarship endowment. The campus expanded with Telecommunications Hall and the 340-seat Avrum Gudelsky Memorial Auditorium.

    In the late 1980s, Capitol’s leadership again recognized the transformation in the institution. The technical-based curriculum had become broader, with an increasing incorporation of humanities and social science courses. With a spacious campus and four-year degrees, the school had shed its skin as a technical institute. Preferring a title and an environment that would better suit its presence, the Board of Trustees changed the school’s name to Capitol College. Along with the name change came a plan to offer more degrees in engineering and management, build on-campus housing and convert from a quarterly academic calendar to a semester system.

    Master’s degrees were introduced in the 1990s. The college began several outreach efforts and business partnerships, such as the NASA PREP summer program for minority students and the Maryland Distance Learning Network. As the 20th century drew to a close, the college expanded the John G. and Beverly A. Puente Library, creating a spacious state-of-the-art facility with a multimedia teaching center. The opening of the William G. McGowan Academic Center in 2005 marked the next era for the college. The academic center hosts an expanded computer science department, the Space Operations Institute, and the BRAC-funded Cyber Battle Lab.

  • Year established:1927
  • Endowment:Unknown


  • Executive / Trustee board size:14
  • Advisory board size:16
  • Staff size:50


  • Organization type:Grantseeker
  • Country of registration:United States
  • Tax Determination Letter:Received Determination Letter
  • IRS Section:501(c)(3)
  • IRS Subsection:None
  • Tax ID:52-0805606

Other Organization Web

IRS Business Master File Information

  • EIN:520805606
  • Sort (Secondary) Name:
  • Care Of Name:
  • Organization Address:11301 SPRINGFIELD RD
  • Organization City:LAUREL
  • Organization State:MD
  • Organization Zip:20708-9758
  • Group Exemption Number:0000
  • Subsection Code:03
  • Classification Code(s):2
  • Subsection/Classification Desc.:Educational Organization
  • Affiliation Code:3
  • Ruling Date:February, 1965
  • Deductibility Code:1
  • Foundation Code:11
  • Foundation Code Desc.:School 170(b)(1)(A)(ii)
  • Activity Code(s):046, 030
  • Activity Code Desc.(s):Private school, School, college, trade school, etc.
  • Organization Code:1 (Corporation)
  • Exempt Org. Status Code:01 (Unconditional Exemption)
  • Tax Period:June, 2016
  • Filing Requirement Category:01 (990 (all other) or 990EZ return)
  • Accounting Period:June
  • NTEE Code:B420
  • Asset Amount:$20,306,740
  • Asset Code:8 ($10,000,000 - $49,999,999)
  • Income Amount:$14,876,102
  • Income Code:8 ($10,000,000 - $49,999,999)
  • 990 Revenue Amount:$14,876,102
  • Last Updated:3/17/2018 12:56:16 pm

This information is directly from the IRS Exempt Organization Business Master File at Exempt Organizations Business Master File Extract. This information is not under the control of the Common Grant Application and is collected and compiled and can only be changed by the IRS.