Annie L. Awbrey Public Library (Roanoke, AL)

Name

  • Name:Margaret Calhoun

Organization Address

  • Organization Name:Annie L. Awbrey Public Library
  • Address:736 College Street
    Roanoke, AL 36274
    United States

Organization Phone

  • Main phone:3348632632
  • Main fax:3348638997

Organization Web

User Email

Location

Click map for a full size active view.

General

  • Mission:
  • The mission of the Annie L. Awbrey Public Library is to provide quality library services and resources to meet the informational, educational, cultural and recreational needs of all citizens of Roanoke, AL. Awbrey Library exists to serve our community as a center for current and reliable information and as a resource for the continuing, life-long education of all members of the community. The library seeks to stimulate the reading interests of both children and adults by placing special emphasis on enrichment programs for all ages. In compliance with our constitutional rights of freedom of speech and freedom of the press, the library will attempt to provide the widest range of viewpoints based on the quality, cost, and availability of the materials for purchase. Annie L. Awbrey Public Library shall strive to satisfy the diverse information needs and interests of our community through selection, acquisition, organization and preservation of library materials.

  • Overview:
  • The library offers 16 computers for public use, a weekly pre-school story hour, annual summer reading program, and various on-site instructional and educational programs throughout the year. Off-site visits are made to local nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and daycare centers and schools for reading programs. The 2013 statistical reports shows that our library contains a collection of 19,006 items. Presently there are 6,647 patrons, of which 2,561 are children. We circulated 19,006 items this past year and 27,058 individuals made use of our public computers.

  • History:
  • Roanoke City Library began as a project of the Roanoke Literary Club in 1934. Club members raised money for new books and donated their own books. they were able to amass 799 books. The books were kept on several shelves in Pearson’s Department store downtown, with Literary Club members taking turns checking out books. Throughout the years and up until the present time, the Board of Trustees strives to maintain a Literary Club Member as a Library Trustee.

    In November, 1940, the mayor and city council appropriated $400 per year, to be matched by the State and WPA to buy books and to maintain the library. Eventually the library became housed in the basement of the Handley High School gymnasium, where the volume and grow to approximately 10,000 books. In 1979 a new building was erected adjacent to Handley High School. In 1994, an addition to the facility doubled the size of the library.

    In the early 70’s, the name was changed to Roanoke Public Library, indicating that library services were restricted to Roanoke residents. On November 16, 1982, the library was renamed the Annie L. Awbrey Public Library in honor of the thirty-six years of service given to the library by Mrs. Awbrey, as its director.

    The library is governed by a Board of Trustees consisting of five members appointed by the Mayor and Roanoke City Council. Today, the Annie L. Awbrey Public Library continues to serve citizens of Roanoke, AL, is a member of the Cheaha Regional Library System and cooperates with the Alabama Public Library Service.

  • Year established:1934
  • Endowment:Unknown

Staff

  • Executive / Trustee board size:5
  • Advisory board size:
  • Staff size:3

Registration

  • Organization type:Grantseeker
  • Country of registration:United States
  • Tax Determination Letter:Received Determination Letter
  • IRS Section:501(c)(3)
  • IRS Subsection:None
  • Tax ID:63-6001356

Other Organization Web