Cleveland Metroparks (Cleveland, OH)

Name

  • Name:Kristen Trolio
  • Title:Grant and Outreach Coordinator

Organization Address

  • Organization Name:Cleveland Metroparks
  • Address:4101 Fulton Parkway
    Cleveland, OH 44144
    United States

Organization Phone

  • Main phone:216-635-3244
  • Main fax:216-635-3286

Organization Web

User Email

Location

Click map for a full size active view.

General

  • Mission:
  • Mission:
    Cleveland Metroparks will conserve significant natural resources and enhance people’s lives by integrating high-quality outdoor education, recreation, and zoological opportunities into people’s lives.

    Vision:
    Cleveland Metroparks will be a national leader for sustainable green infrastructure that provides essential environmental, economic, and community benefits for people in its core service area, the surrounding region, and the global reach of Cleveland Metroparks Zoo.

  • Overview:
  • Cleveland Metroparks was established in 1917 to provide open green space for the people of Greater Cleveland and to preserve the natural resources of the region. Today, the Park District consists of over 22,852 acres in 18 reservations and Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Cleveland Metroparks is often referred to as the “Emerald Necklace” because it encircles the City of Cleveland and its suburbs with beautiful and diverse green space and natural ecosystems. Cleveland Metroparks conserves unique natural settings and provides educational and recreational opportunities to the greatest number of people possible.

    Cleveland Metroparks serves over 44 million visitors annually in 18 reservations, with 300 miles of trails, including all-purpose trails, hiking trails, and bridle paths. The Park District also maintains numerous picnic shelters, two swimming beaches, seven outdoor education facilities, eight golf courses, and Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. Cleveland Metroparks manages property in 48 municipalities and is easily accessible within 15 minutes from any location in Cuyahoga County. Cleveland Metroparks reservations are open and accessible to the public 365 days per year with no admission fees, regardless of residency.

    Natural resources are carefully managed throughout the Park District, including rivers, wetlands, forest areas, waterfalls, steep gorges, and meadowlands. The overall goal is to balance the needs of these natural areas with the needs of the park patrons. A variety of programs are offered that focus on science, wellness, and/or recreation for school groups, youth of all ages, adults, families, and seniors. Cleveland Metroparks operates a strong volunteer program, and in 2013, 6,112 volunteers donated 128,989 hours of volunteer time to the Park District.

  • History:
  • William Stinchcomb first suggested the idea of an outer chain of parks with a series of connected boulevards around the City of Cleveland in 1905. Cleveland formed a park board in 1912 following an act by the Ohio Senate. The park board remained dormant for several years until state law changed in 1915, allowing the Cuyahoga County Commissioners to appropriate money to the park board. In 1916 the first funds were received and the Park District grew to embrace some of the most scenic areas of the Cleveland region.
    Stinchcomb, who had been elected Cuyahoga County engineer, stayed involved in the project as a consulting engineer and engaged the renowned landscape architect Fredrick Law Olmsted, Jr. Olmsted, the son and namesake of America’s first landscape architect, had established a well-regarded firm of his own. The group began drawing plans for a system of connected parks, as well as the acquisition of land and resources for the future park system. In March 1917, the Ohio General Assembly passed a bill providing for "the conservation of natural resources by the creation, development, and improvement of park districts." On June 30, 1917, the Board of Trustees of Euclid Township petitioned the Probate Judge of Cuyahoga County for the creation of the Cleveland Metropolitan Park District. In July, a new park board was appointed and then met for the first time on July 30, 1917. Stinchcomb stayed on as a consultant without compensation and continued to steward the Park District until he was nearly 79 years old.

    From its inception through the 1920s, the Cleveland Metropolitan Park Board concentrated its efforts on assembling parkland. The Park District materially took shape during its first decade. In 1920, the Park District held title to just 109 acres of land in Rocky River and Big Creek; by 1930, it had acquired at a cost of $3.9 million, 9,000 acres in nine large, unconnected reservations: Rocky River, Huntington, Big Creek, Hinckley, Brecksville, Bedford, South Chagrin, North Chagrin and Euclid Creek. Now approaching its 100th anniversary, Cleveland Metroparks stands out among park districts, a three-time National Gold Medal Award recipient for excellence in the field of park and recreation management and accredited by the Commission for Accreditation of Park and Recreation Agencies, the most prestigious organization for certifying standards of excellence in park districts in the U.S.

  • Year established:1917
  • Endowment:Unknown

Staff

  • Executive / Trustee board size:3
  • Advisory board size:0
  • Staff size:1500

Registration

  • Organization type:Grantseeker
  • Country of registration:United States
  • Tax Determination Letter:Not Applicable
  • IRS Section:Unknown
  • IRS Subsection:None
  • Tax ID:34-6000704