Berwick Area School District (Berwick, PA)


  • Name:Mr. Ralph Norce III
  • Title:Coordiantor of Grant Writing and Special Programs

Organization Address

  • Organization Name:Berwick Area School District
  • Address:500 Line Street
    Berwick, PA 18603
    United States

Organization Phone

  • Main phone:570 759 6400
  • Main fax:570 759-6439

Organization Web

User Phone

  • Mobile phone:570 336-6516

User Email


Click map for a full size active view.


  • Mission:
  • The Berwick Area School District encompasses over 100 square miles and has 3,200 students enrolled in five elementary buildings, a middle school, and a high school. The mission of the District is to "Build a better community one student at a time".

    The District places an emphasis on individual student’s needs and how best to serve those needs. It is our responsibility to produce students who are competent citizens and will be able to take their place in this world.

    We not only address their academic lives but also make attempts that the whole being of a child is progressing in a positive manner. The District has programs to ensure mental, physical and social wellness.

  • History:
  • The first major move in consolidating the districts that now comprise the Berwick Area School District occurred in 1918 when the Berwick Borough and West Berwick entered into an agreement. The next step occurred in 1954 when the outlying districts of Briar Creek Borough, Briar Creek Township, and Salem Township joined the Berwick Borough to form the Berwick Area Jointure. During this period Nescopeck Borough, Nescopeck Township, and Hollenback Township developed a coordinated system. In 1941 they created a jointure for grades seven through twelve. This agreement was amended in 1953 to include all grades, one through twelve. Act 299, passed in 1963 provided the basis for the 1965 reorganization of Berwick Area Jointure and the Nescopeck Area Jointure to form the present school district.

    The Berwick Area School District now encompasses over 100 square miles. The District serves approximately 3,200 students in four elementary schools, one middle school, and one high school. Roughly 44% of students qualify for the free or reduced lunch program. The District employees in the ballpark of 700 individuals and is the District’s third highest employer. The areas number one employer is Wise Snacks followed by CHS Berwick Hospital Center. Rounding out the top five are Berwick Management LLC and K-Fab Inc. The District is also home to the Susquehanna Steam Electric Plant that is comprised of two nuclear power plants with plans to add additional units under the ownership of PPL in the next few years.

    As mentioned before, the population of the community is primarily blue collar or retired. The average household income is only $34,357 which is $14,000 below the state average. The estimated per capita income is $18,590 which is $8,000 below the state average. The population is predominately White at 96% while the other 4% is comprised of 2% Hispanic, 1% Black, and 1% other. Unemployment in 2007 was 11.1% and most likely has increased since then with the closure of some businesses and layoffs at others.

    The estimated median house or condo value is $91,158 (in 2000 it was $69,400). This figure is $65,000 less than the state average of $155,000. Just over 75% of the houses were built prior to 1959 with 45% being built prior to 1940. Since 2000 only 1% of available housing has been built. The downtown commercial buildings represent the housing market statistically.

    We are fortunate to have many parks and rural areas within the community. The District is divided by the Susquehanna River and provides two areas on its bank for recreation. One is sponsored by PPL and is a nature preserve and park area, and the other is an area where WWII tanks were tested before shipment and is known as the Test Track area. The Test Track is owned by the borough and houses AYSO, baseball, and softball fields.

  • Year established:
  • Endowment:Unknown


  • Executive / Trustee board size:9
  • Advisory board size:0
  • Staff size:11


  • Organization type:Grantseeker
  • Country of registration:United States
  • Tax Determination Letter:Unknown
  • IRS Section:
  • Tax ID:23-1654551

Other Organization Web